Alappuzha, November 25: Shruti Amrute from Maharashtra, Sreeja Akula from Telengana, Seleenadeepthi Selvakumar from Tamil Nadu and Seraha Jacob from Kerala will be representing India at the World Junior Table Tennis Championships, to be held at Shanghai from November 30 to December 7.
The Sports Ministry has given its nod to the team which will be accompanied by Monalisa Mehta as coach. All these players, currently representing their respective states in the ongoing 76th Junior and Youth National Championships here, will be leaving for Shanghai on November 29 from New Delhi.
Incidentally, only the girls had qualified for the Worlds after their stupendous performance at the Asian Juniors held at Mumbai in September.
The four-member team was chosen by the TTFI’s selection committee after assessing the performance at the National Ranking (North Zone) Championships in the first week of this month at Agra. The committee members had taken into consideration the ranking points they got from Central, West, East and North Zone events besides the consistency level in all these zonals.
The committee couldn’t have waited for the Junior and Youth Nationals to get over as the championships here concludes only on November 30 when the world meet begins. Hence the committee had kept the Agra meet as the last cut off point to pick the squad.
Sereha Jacob, who is he star player for Kerala, though did not expect to get selected said she was happy with her performance this year. “This is my last year as a junior and I am delighted to be part of the Indian team,” said the local lass.
Talking on the selection, TTFI secretary-general secretary said this was the just reward for their consistency. “The world junior championships will give these players a great experience and I am sure they will benefit from the trip to Shanghai.”
- Rest of Information coming soon
- ADTTA's signature insignia!
- PSPB monopoly to continue, pullouts to affect WB, NB teams
- Inaugural Rally of 76th Junior & Youth National Table Tennis Championships - 2014
- Total recall of Junior Girls team by NB, 16 teams make cut
- Kerala girls rout TN, Telengana scrape through to semifinals
- Telangana girls, Maharashtra boys lift junior silverwares
- Maharashtra boys and PSPB girls win Youth titles
- Fancied players move into pre-quarterfinals
- Abhishek, Manav win maiden titles; Manika retains youth crown